Thursday, September 30, 2010

Outdoor Skills Class - September 2010

Throughout my absurdly frantic work days, I feel the longing to be out in Nature.  To be part of the rhythm of the universe, not our man-made bastardized version of reality, but to really be a part of the natural world.  That is, after all, what this MooseBoots journey is all about.  This is about my growing awareness and longing to be, not what we have been told we must be but, part of the Universe or, if you prefer, Everything.  It is the reason we started with our monthly outdoors skills class.

This month, the class took a new tactic for learning.  We had multiple tasks that need to get accomplished - cut vegetables, getting cooking water, building a fire, gathering firewood, and finish the woodshed.  The overall common thread was for the kids to cook soup for lunch and to serve the adults.  Adults were not supposed to interfere ... just assist only as needed.

The kids did a great job preparing the soup.  It was a delicious vegetable soup made from things that each family brought.  The adults sat in the wigwam while the kids filled bowls and handed them out.  Several people, Wendy included, thought to bring bread, too.  It was so good to be in the woods for that short time and the weather cooperated nicely.


After lunch, the kids played a game for a bit.  Then, we were shown how to sharpen a knife.  This served a a stark lesson for me.  I had read about sharpening a knife, but had not tried it.  During the class, we simply followed the steps I already knew, but had not tried.  The reminder it that you can read, but that does not give you any experience.  Big, Little Sister and I took advantage of the opportunity to try a new skill.



Knowledge gained, but not used, is useless.  The cosmic slap was a bit of a wake-up call to not sit still ... learn something, try it, own it.  It is always easier to have someone show you how to do something, but my path requires something faster, and frankly a bit less costly.  While I am often frustrated by the languorous pace of this MooseBoots path, I need to bear in mind that it is in my power to speed it or simply savor the delicious new things that come my way.

1 comment:

  1. I love how everything is always so connnected, if we're able to, kind of, step back and see how the pattern fits.

    The other day, I was thinking about our bees, and I was kind of lamenting (in my mind) the fact that we lost our colony, and thinking, that perhaps we should have had a teacher, but it's like, a lot of the things you and I have learned over the years have been self-taught, and I realized that we probably learn best through trial and error (lots of error :). The flip-side to that is, when we realize we're in over our heads, the Universe has always sent us a teacher ... if we just learn to listen. With gardening, for example, a few years ago, the Universe sent the squirrels and chipmunks, who planted sunflowers, and reminded me that nature already knows what to do. At best, my only "job" as a gardener is to plant the seeds, and She can do the rest.

    By the way, there might be a knife or two in the kitchen that could use some sharpening ... when you get time *grin*.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on MooseBoots.

If you have not, please follow this blog by clicking the "Follow" button.