Wednesday, September 1, 2010

What A Fun-Gi!

My journey, my MooseBoots path has provided a new lesson today.  It is about patience and letting nature run its course.  Lately, the lessons are about life and death.  What more is there when it comes to important stuff?  No, kids, your cell phones, facebook, clothing, hairdos, and favorite celebrities are not really important in the big scheme of things.  We have mushrooms!

Wayyyy back in June 2009, we inoculated several oak logs with shiitake mushroom spore.  Today, this is what we saw.


The funny thing is that I had given up on them.  I planned to cut the logs up this fall to burn.  Just in a nick of time ... poof ... mushrooms.  Perhaps, Gramzilla came by to offer some assistance in her new form.  (If so, could you please help the bees, too.  Thanks, Gramzilla.)  Being a newbie, however, I do not know the proper time, or method, to pick them.  So, any of you more experienced people, feel free to chime in.  I am thinking that I would also like to learn how to collect spore to seed new logs for future years.  Feel free to share if you have done that before, too.

So, this week, the universe has taught me a little about growth and a bit about dying.  Really, are they not a part of the whole process that we call life.  My MooseBoots journey has benefited, by having opportunities for personal development, by both events.

8 comments:

  1. What a nice surprise! Congrats on the success. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Leigh! You are quick! Thank you, although I didn't really have a lot to do with it other than hoping. On second thought, perhaps I did help to manifest it with my thoughts and hopes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... or it was because I was unintentionally watering them ... *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, Wendy, that might have helped a bit, too. *wink, wink*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woo hoo! Welcome to our world! Although ours are grown on hardwood sawdust in bags. When I first was introduced to you and your family, you had made a post on our blog, commenting that you were not seeing any results with your logs...and now, here you are. Good job! As I said last year, the conditions need to be "just right" for these things to grow, and obviously, everything clicked...although, your Gramzilla may well have had a hand in it from her new post...(They have a way of helping out when they transfer to their next phase).

    At our farm, we pick them when the edge of the cap has separated from the stem and flattens out. I'm sure you will see how quickly they grow - a tight cap will be ready for picking within two days or so, depending on the temperature.

    Bon Appetit!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Julie, thank you. We harvested them yesterday (2.75 lbs or a bit over 1 kilogram). They have all been sliced and put into the dehydrator for winter storage for soups and such. Perhaps,we will try the next ones fresh. We are new to fresh mushrooms, aside from those normally seen on salads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wait til you try a gravy made from those shiitakes - you are in for a real treat!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie, I can't wait ... gravy! I am very much a "sopper".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment on MooseBoots.

If you have not, please follow this blog by clicking the "Follow" button.